Friday, June 11, 2010

A year in a minute or two

Following straight on from my last post: was a period of rest and recuperation. I had two physio appointments a week for around 3 months. I couldn't do much - at all - which I was ok with. In hindsight I didn't read nearly enough books. One highlight was when the scar was healed enough to actually submerge my hand in water and give it a good wash - several weeks without washing a body part is a long time. Now, it's back to more or less normal, albeit with quite a scar. I tried tying my shoe one handed the other day but failed - it's amazing how quickly some things are forgotten.

Being back in Sydney gave me a chance to be inducted to The Epic BBQ. It is an event that has turned into something of a tradition, involving a BBQ at Kim and Lyndal's house where all guests are asked to bring something, be it anything of their choosing from a dish to cocktail ingredients, along for everyone to try. No, it doesn't turn into a day of degustacion, but is much more reminiscent of La Grande Bouffe - minus the hookers.

I've been getting into my beer much more than my food in the last year. I've steadily been working my way through a plethora of interesting craft beers, mostly from Aus and NZ but also abroad, and I have also started home brewing. So far so good - but there's so much more to be learnt, and much improvement to be made. At times I almost wish I could get rid of the beer quicker so that I can justify a new batch (anyone want to share my company and my home brew? I can't just palm the beer off alone....)

Once my hand hit the three month mark, I was given the all clear to get back climbing again. I haven't gotten as much in as I would have liked, but have still had plenty of great outings.Though with all this beer, food, work and travel interest I find it too easy to forget how pleasurable a day on the rock is.

With my hand mostly mended, I had no more excuses to not be working. I picked up a surveying job with an old employer, close to home, a few days a week. The casual roster suited me, as I still had the odd physio appointment, and was partaking in weekly Spanish lessons to boot. My situation wasn't enlightening, however, and when an opportunity arose to get back to mine surveying, I took it.

It was this work that has kept me busy for about the last twelve months. It was a role which was convenient to me: NSW mine sites, using my registration for mostly short-term work, and a flexible roster. I (in my typically unrealistic, dreamy way) foresaw my time divided evenly between work, climbing, and Sydney. I did get a lot of free time in, which I made the most of with climbing trips, Sydney time, Epic BBQ's, a Melbourne visit; but after awhile, whilst working at a mine near Parkes, I decided that rather than take a holiday, I'd resign and take an extended holiday.

Which brings us to now. I jet off this Sunday, first stop Ljubljana - where I intend to learn how to pronounce the name of Slovenia's capital!

No comments: